Thursday, March 6, 2014

It's in the Can


Back in the mid-'70s, when my age was still in the single digits, one of my sisters lived in Florida. Oh how my twin sister and I loved to get letters from Romey on Walt Disney stationery or receive little Mickey Mouse stickers. The best gift, though, came one Christmas.

It was a can of Florida Sunshine.

Unfortunately, the gift was for all of us -- not just me -- so I could not claim ownership or any rights to its use. I was young enough to believe, though, that opening that weightless can would actually produce the heat of the Florida sun -- right there in our living room.

On the coldest winter days, I would beg our mom to open that can! Why are we suffering when summer is in the can?? She never relented. So I never knew what was really inside. If anything.

For years it sat on the bookshelves in the living room, taunting me. I wouldn't doubt if it was still there.

If it is, I'm pretty sure if Mom wasn't down in Texas for the past month, she'd have cracked it open by now. I know I would!

Actually, with all the online shopping I do, I wonder if I can't find some bottled up Florida sunshine and have it delivered -- overnight, of course -- right to my doorstep.

I've got my can opener ready.




No comments: