Saturday, March 8, 2014

Springin' Forward

When you know you are going to lose an hour due to Daylight Savings, you sometimes feel compelled to make up for it. And despite the fact I was in bed 'til almost 9 a.m. today, I did a pretty good job of squeezing as much as possible into the limited hours.

I did have about an hour of actual work-work to do but after that it was go time. I had the house to myself while the guys were on their own mission to get some things done in town, including batting practice, so I cranked some throwback jams and got going!

With the 40 Bags in 40 Days Lenten De-Crapifying Challenge staring me in the face, I knew I had to tackle a major "focus area" to compensate for my late start. I chose the coat closet off our living room.

The thing about our coat closet is that the door opens and you see the coats and what's on the shelves and floor but you forget that hidden to the left the closet extends another few feet. That's where the time capsule was hidden. And by time capsule I mean items that reflect the early childhood of a little boy.

And actually a teenage girl, too.

I know what you're thinking. The '80s called and they want their clothes back! It just happened that stuffed in that closet was a duffel bag of items worn for a sister weekend "Opening Act." It was a good thing I had those saved all these years, er decades, so I had them for that one song several years ago. Now that that's done, do I have to say goodbye?

The jury's still out on that one, but I did manage to part with 3 fanny packs (who has that many in real life?) and quite a bit more. All totaled, I ended up with one full garbage bag for disposal, three full grocery bags for charity and one bag for potential sale. Not bad for one "trouble spot," eh?

I still have a few things to go through from that closet, but I ran out of time.

Hubby and I participated (notice I didn't say competed) in a bowling tournament this afternoon. It was a 9-Pin Tap format, which means knocking down 9 pins in your first roll is a strike. My kind of bowling!


Several friends were there, too, so we had a goofy (note photo) good time. The only problem was that it started a half hour late and we knew we'd be pressed for time to get Carter to school for Pep Band by 6:15 p.m. and even us to the regional championship game on time at 7. Luckily we arranged a last-minute ride for Carter. Our last of 4 games didn't end until a few minutes to 7.

Glad we stayed for our finish, though, since I bowled a 198 that last game! My highest score ever I am sure. And I know I have to put an asterisk there since it was only 9-Pin, but that won't stop me from bragging. I didn't win any prizes for that since my other scores aren't worth reporting. However, I did get to pick a prize when I successfully knocked down a split. That should hold us over until the next time we bowl.

In a year.

We got to the Assumption Girls Basketball game right at tip-off. Since this was for the regional title, the gym was packed with our fans and a ton from visiting Loyal. I had wanted to get there early enough to see Carter in Pep Band and take a photo. He had a special ensemble tonight. Clothing that is. He wore some new blue-and-white striped bibs. Very spirited. We missed the band and he would not allow me to take his picture later.

Good thing our girls are moving onto sectionals so I'll have another chance!


Yup, the Lady Royals continue on the road to state with a convincing victory. Nice job! This Thursday they will take on their conference arch-rival -- Wausau Newman Catholic.

After the game, we dropped Carter off at home and hung out with some Assumption friends down the road. Got home with time to spare -- when it comes to changing the clocks.

Pretty sure that Sunday -- officially a 23-hour day -- will feel more like spring as far as temperatures go. But after my busy day today, there won't be much spring in my step.

Don't forget to "spring forward" so we are one hour closer to spring... when it arrives in June.


No comments: