Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Holy Jackpot, Batman!


If you thought Powerball fever was crazy last week, this week it is off the charts.

I had to laugh when someone posted some graphic on Facebook that pointed out that if we divided the projected $1.3 billion jackpot by the U.S. population of 300 million, then each person would get $4.33 million and our poverty problem would be solved.

Actually, if you do the math correctly, each person would only get $4.33, just enough to buy another ticket and an order of fries. (Maybe even a medium order since the jackpot is now up to $1.5 billion.)

Whoops. Nice sentiment, though. Your heart's in the right place but making everyone a millionaire would kill the economy. Who would want or need to work? Who would heal the sick if the doctors and nurses don't work? Who would protect us if the police and firefighters don't need a paycheck? How can I get gas if no one delivers it to the station and no one opens it? Who will watch over my piles of money if there are no bankers' hours?

The odds against me (well each individual buyer) are staggering. I mean there was no place to park when I got my tickets at KwikTrip tonight. Every single person in all 3 lines was getting Powerball tickets!

Still, you can't help but wonder if hubby and I will get to share it. Or if I'll be splitting with the group of 17 at work. Or if a family member or friend  will win it. Have I told you lately I love you all dearly??? Don't forget your favorite blogger!

I wasn't going to announce this yet, but Jim and I actually won last week... matching the Powerball on two tickets. That's just enough to cover our investment. I guess if we keep it reasonable, Batman won't have any excuse to slap some sense into this Robyn.

But $1.5 billion... Holy jackpot, Batman!





No comments: