Saturday, January 30, 2016

Kicking It In Gear

Today was the day we kicked it in gear, literally, at Park Institute. Had the 37th Anniversary Open House and two demonstration shows. It was a long, seven-hour day but worth it to be a part of it and see some things I've only seen in movies.

In case you missed the show – and I know you did – here is my friend Teri and I kicking butt and taking names. Also known as jumping up to break boards with a front kick...


Ha. Just kidding. These are two teenage girls who are far more skilled and daring that we are. I mean bare feet? Ouch.


Here's Teri and I for real, showing of our mad skills of balance, fashion and ...


Attitude!

We did have a great time. There were more than a dozen segments to the show. Our kickboxing/fitness demo fell right in the middle. We had 6 of us demonstrating basic punches and kicks, using our bodies and the punching bag, and strength and balance, using our bodies, the weighted body bar, flex bar, dumb bells and kettle bell. We fit a lot in in less than 10 minutes.

Here's me demonstrating balance while holding the weighted body bar.


My long-time friend Ted, who got me started in this a year ago! Over 70 years of age, he and his wife are living proof anyone can do this!


The "nunchunks" weapons demo is always popular, especially when it is choreographed to "Uptown Funk." Awesome to watch!


Of course the biggest thrill beside board breaking was breaking concrete. Not kidding. I realize all the pictures are blurry, but the guy above is breaking through concrete with his foot! Crazy.

And this guy is using his hand to break concrete. Insane, right?


I just see pain, but somehow these men and women of all ages have learned focus – and strength, obviously. That's what was so cool to watch. We normally just do our class and go. We don't see these other activities in our martial arts world.

It was also nice to see a lot of people attend the event today. There were around 50 guests at each show. They wanted to see what the fuss and fun was about. Hopefully a few signed up for our classes. We definitely could use a few more bodies in the fitness area.

I promise... no wood or concrete required.



No comments: