Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Home Court Advantage


In case you were wondering about my vertical leap... it looks nothing like this. In fact, I wonder if my feet totally leave the ground when I jump in my kickboxing class. It feels like I should look like this, but reality, age and gravity tell me differently.

Just one of many reasons I love watching high school hoops. These boys have hops!

Tonight we hosted Wausau Newman Catholic. Always a fierce rivalry in our conference. When we played at their house in December, we lost by just 2 points in an insanely tense, well-fought game. Now it was their turn to come to "our" house.

It did start off pretty similarly, with the Royals having only a 3-point lead at halftime. But our boys kicked it in gear, stayed out of foul trouble (mostly), and ended up taking the victory 75-61.

It was fun sitting between the mother of a player who scored 22 points and the grandmother of a player who scored 15. They were both so proud and excited, I couldn't help but be, too. That's what's fun about the game at this level. We're all happy together and we all take the losses to heart.

Even though we split the season with the Cardinals, it still counts as a Royal win for us. In fact, doesn't a victory in front of the home crowd count as double?

Beats me. I never was that good in math.

Or jump balls.


No comments: