Monday, May 2, 2016

How It Adds Up


I love that the secret to living well and longer comes down to simple math. After my huge arithmetic endeavor yesterday, I need that.

It does makes sense. It adds up to both physical and mental health. But just like anything else that is "simple," that does not mean it is "easy." As a word person (not math!), I see that mistaken assumption a lot.

Eat Half: For me, I have been trying to eat less (not half by any means) and granting myself exceptions for birthday cake and ice cream, of course. Slowly, but surely, I am seeing some results. I'll take progress in any measure.

Walk Double: I've been trying to walk or exercise more. Am having issues with my FitBit but I don't NEED that to tell me I've moved. I just need to move! Of course, tonight in kickboxing I am pretty sure I pinched or pulled my sciatic nerve. Or as a friend of ours calls it, the "psychiatric nerve." Now that might make more sense with me!

Laugh Triple: I absolutely love the freeing power of a good laugh. When we allow too much stress in, the laugh bubbles are trapped and can't get out. We have to let go once in awhile. More than once in awhile. When you have one of those moments of hilarity where you are laughing so hard you can't breathe, your shoulders and body are shaking but no sound comes out, those are the best. Total euphoria. The best endorphins around!

Love Without Measure: This is a toughy. You can easily express boundless love to a baby, a puppy or anything that will love you back unconditionally. Normal-size humans, though, come with a risk. What if I love them more than they love me? What if I get hurt? What if I do love them but never learned how to match my demonstration with my depth of feeling?

It's not that easy. But I can see why doing any and all of these things will make you feel better. Part of it is not putting so much stock in what others are doing or what others may think of you for what you are (or aren't) doing. That's the "let it go" part. Like any accomplishment on such a grand scale, it's difficult but rewarding.

I'm glad Tibet shared their secret. It's worth a shot, don't you think? Really, what do we have to lose?


No comments: