Sunday, May 22, 2016

Royally Nice


Today was the biggest day of activities for Assumption's Royal Event. My plan was to get there right when it started at 11 a.m. so I'd have first dibbs on their awesome selection of "cash and carry" theme baskets.

But then I got an unexpected visitor.

Diane, a woman we both worked with at the daily newspaper here, stopped by to drop off a graduation card for Carter because she isn't sure she'll make it to his party on Sunday (yikes, just one week away).

It was fun explaining to Carter that this woman has known him since the minute he was born. That I called her while I was in labor and "Grandma Di" came to visit him in the hospital when he was probably only 12 hours old!

Yup, a lot of people have adored that kid since day one and he probably doesn't know half of them! It is sad that we get so busy with our own lives that we don't take time to go see people who live in the same town. Some people say Rapids is a small town, but it's big enough you don't just run into people unless you make a point of seeing them.

So it was a nice surprise to see her and catch up. Totally worth missing out any basket purchases, that's for sure!

I did get to school closer to 1 p.m. and Jim and I had lunch. Sat with a couple he's known forever and who have two grown children we are friends with. They had to leave before the 50-50 raffle ticket number was announced so I told them I'd hold onto their tickets for them and give them their winnings when I see them at the ballpark – their son coaches Assumption softball and their son-in-law is head coach of baseball.

Later, when they announced the winning numbers, I got excited to see my tickets matched!

Then remembered, oh yeah, these aren't mine. So I collected $200 without passing go. At hubby's prompting, I handed over the money to their daughter, who will see them tomorrow. I'm still going to collect on the promised hugs from the winners. Gotta charge something for a handling fee!

Needless to say, that was as close as we got to winning anything. Jim's name was not called for winning a car and my name wasn't called for winning any of the golf outings.

We did score some half-price cheesecake and caramel corn to bring home. My 3-mile run/walk tonight will not even make a dent in that indulgence.

I'm sure it's Royally tasty. Just will have enjoy in Royal moderation.


No comments: