Saturday, May 7, 2016

Kickin' Brass and Taking Names

It was 5 a.m. when I got up to close a window, hoping to block out the sound of the birds. The way they were carrying on (and on and on), you'd think they were the ones who had to perform at State Solo & Ensembles today! Save the warm-ups and let me sleep, please!

Was honored to hear some really talented musicians – vocal and instrumental – when we did go to the state competition later in the morning up at UW-Stevens Point. Last year I missed it because it fell on the same weekend as my mother's down-sizing sale to end all down-sizing sales. So this year, since it is Carter's last, I made it a priority to attend.


His first event was a mixed-instrument ensemble with friends Macie on trumpet and Olivia on saxophone. The judge was so excited to hear the combination of instruments. She hadn't heard that before. I guess that boded well. That and a stellar performance earned them a first!

I can't figure out how I got that video uploaded to Facebook, but if you want to see the performance, I changed the setting so you don't have to be a Facebook member to view it: https://www.facebook.com/robyn.austin.39

If it doesn't work, take my word for it. It was very nice!



Carter's second event was a brass ensemble of 8. They sounded good, too.


Of course you can never tell with what the judge says. They had very good judges, though. Great feedback and suggestions for improvements. I'm not sure what they got for a mark on the larger ensemble. I would think a first as well. We'll see.

In between Carter's performances, I also got to hear a couple singing solos from two of his classmates and a trumpet solo from a buddy of his. So much talent! Great to see kids enjoying something and working hard to succeed at it.

From there, I went over to the ballpark in Point, since I was in the neighborhood... and Assumption baseball was playing a doubleheader versus Pacelli.



That didn't go as well as the musical performances. Kept them close the first game but still lost. The second game was tied at 5 and then got away from us. Probably didn't help there were a few players missing and some not 100% physically. It was a great opportunity, though, for some of our younger players to see playing time. They need the experience.

I just love seeing the new coaching staff really invest in teaching while coaching – and being supportive. It's great!

From sunny Stevens Point, I found myself battling road construction in the name of finding my way to King Cone. Hey, it's on the way home, sort of, and isn't it Mother's Day weekend??

Speaking of mothers, am very proud of my mom today, who participated in the annual Luck Cancer Walk. She has been doing this for several years to honor her father and a sister. She is always one of the top individual fundraisers, this year raising $3,575! Not bad for an 84-year-old, right?

She raised the money herself, but did not have to walk by herself. My brother Ron and sisters Rayna, Raylene, RoAnn and Rachel joined her. Thanks for being there for her!

Glad we all could spend at least part of Mother's Day weekend with people we love! That brings music to my heart.



No comments: