Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Take Me Out to the Ballgame


I suspect there may be more people watching Game 7 of the World Series tonight than the recent presidential debates. But that's just my guess.

Game 7 with two teams that haven't won a World Series during the lifetime of most of their fan base. It's exciting and nerve-wracking for the Cubs and the Indians. And makes for good television. Even for those of us who aren't necessarily fans of either team. The fans, though, gotta be going crazy.

Been there, done that.


Yes, despite this dreadful 2016 season, my Twins were good once. Very good. Although the series win in 1991 was exciting, winning it in 1987 was more memorable and more personal for me. The summer leading up to it, I had the privilege of attending at least a half-dozen games at the Metrodome, even sitting within shouting distance of Kirby Puckett in centerfield (he turned around and waved, too!). Watching them play in the Series was like watching MY team.

And I know that's how it is tonight, too.

I have lots of friends who are Cubs fans. I don't know any Indians fans but I do know some very non-Cubs fans. Ha. So we'll have to see later who feels this was all "worth waiting for."

OK, 7th-inning stretch is over. Gotta get back to the game.

Play ball!

No comments: