Friday, November 4, 2016

Pick Your Battles


Had to laugh out loud when I saw this today. It's something every parent understands. Every. Single. One.

We learn that although we are the adults – and we most certainly are always right – that we sometimes have to pick our battles. We feel like lesser parents because of it. Like we are conceding instead of standing our ground and proving we are right. But oh, the headaches we avoid.

Is it possible to be right and just let it go when the other person thinks they are right, too?

(Don't ask me. I rarely win an argument. I do always get the last word, though!)

The analogy of the argument with a toddler immediately brought the election to mind. I wisely have kept my mouth shut for a change and I'm not about to get on a soapbox now, promoting one candidate over another. I would love to say, "Not my circus. Not my monkeys." But I think we're all unavoidably in the 3-ring circus of Hell, aren't we?

To be clear, I applaud individuals who have firm beliefs and want to get involved in the political process. That's what a democracy is about. I am concerned, though, about those who carry it too far. Sure, words can hurt, but these reports of physical harm to people (or their belongings) because they are on the "wrong side" are scary.

Elections are notorious for mud-slinging, but everything seems negative to the extreme this time. It makes me want to skip the whole thing on Tuesday. But I can't. People fought hard for our right to vote and we should honor that privilege. I just wish it were a more positive atmosphere for some 18-year-olds I know who have never had the honor before of casting a ballot.

But that's not reality.

Can we at least act like the adults and not the 3-year-olds in this scenario? Pick your battles wisely. Prove your point on the ballot. No matter the outcome, feel a sense of pride that you, at least, had your say.

Then walk away and see what you can do to keep your community, your state, your country moving forward.

God, please bless America!


No comments: