Saturday, November 5, 2016

Shutter Speed

Had a speedy road trip today. To paint a picture of traveling within speed limits, I should probably clarify "I covered a lot of ground in one day." Both hubby and I did. But in opposite directions.

Jim traveled south to see Carter at UW-Platteville and they did some Christmas shopping in nearby Dubuque, Iowa. I headed Up North for a funeral. Julie, my bestest friend from junior high and high school, lost her dad last week. They interred him in the Veterans Cemetery near Spooner yesterday and the memorial service was in Luck today.

Since it's a 4-hour drive, I hit the road by 6:30 a.m. so I could allow time for the forecasted fog. It was patchy, dense fog for the first hour of the drive, but as the sun rose and started to burn it off, it was really pretty.

I didn't have time to stop and take pictures. So I lowered the passenger-side window and randomly snapped on the phone while keeping my eyes on the road ahead. Let's just say I THOUGHT they looked gorgeous on my small phone screen, but in reality, they were a blurry mess. Guess that's what happens when your shutter speed is 55 mph. Still, I have to share the beauty God provided on my drive up...

 


Somewhat better focus since I was at a stoplight in Marshfield, ha.

Got to Luck by 10:30. Great to see Jules and her brother and the family. This is tough for them since their mom just died last year. I give Julie all the credit in the world for doing the eulogy. She made it pretty far before she started crying. She wisely interjected some humor, too. Totally fitting for her dad.

After the service, I headed out to Mom's so I could appreciate the one parent I have left! My sister Raylene came down and met us since we had items to exchange. It was a short but sweet visit. We even got a partial game of cards in. It's normally 3 to 13 but in the interest of time, we did 3 to 7.


Of course Mom is smiling. Her baby twins are no match for this card shark. Between her and dad, I know where I got my cocky card-playing skills from! Who's competitive? Not us! Right. Hit the road by 3 p.m. so I could arrive home before dark.



Not only did I have a great sunrise on my travels, but a pretty nice sunset, too. And I am home before dark and home in time to watch a Hallmark Christmas movie tonight!


Don't forget to set your clocks back tonight. I'm setting mine back to 1986. (Hey not every day your shutter speed slows down to get a selfie in Luck!)


No comments: