Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Just Jingle All The Way


Tonight was my fourth and final night at the Red Kettle. I chose to just go each Wednesday of the season so I could go straight from there to choir practice. Of course, the downside is getting home for the first time of day/night well after 8 p.m.

The upside, obviously, is that I have a home!

Since my friend Cindy managed to jingle with me 3 of the weeks, it was a good time. It was also nice to have someone else actually see in person what I have the privilege of seeing each holiday season. People, no matter their current lot in life, are willing to give. Pennies to twenties. Almost everyone gives.

I especially like when I see parents giving their money to their children to place in the kettle. Hopefully they are teaching them a lesson on giving for the season. Typically at least once a shift I will have a little one ask me why I'm ringing the bell. Usually I can point out, "So that we can help little kids like you who don't even have a nice hat (jacket, boots, etc) like you do to keep warm in the winter." They might get it. If not today, eventually.

In case YOU didn't know what the Salvation Army does, here's a few things it does in Wisconsin Rapids anyway...

The local Wood County Salvation Army provides qualified individuals with short-term emergency financial assistance. Assistance programs offered include emergency services, housing and rent help, disaster services, Christmas projects, medical, emergency services, financial assistance for utility and heating bills, special projects as identified for needy persons. In addition, qualified individuals and families can receive emergency gas money (a maximum of $15) one time a year. Medical and prescription assistance may also be offered.

That's a lot.

Pardon my language, but you can see there's no place for half-ass jinglers. We definitely need to jingle ALL the way to help those in need!

If you can't find a red kettle near you, drop a donation online. Join us jinglers in Doing the Most Good.


No comments: