Sunday, December 31, 2017

2017 :: Well That Was Quick

There's no shame in taking a nap in order to stay up until midnight on New Year's Eve, is there? I'm not sure if we're just getting old or, quite possibly, are just tired. As we look back, it's been a crazy busy year!

Again.

They all are, though, aren't they?

Here is a recap from our Christmas letter. Some of you saw this. Some didn't. I was shorted a bunch of envelopes from Walgreens and never took the time to rectify the situation or get others. So, not all cards and letters got out. I will try harder next year...

A few photo highlights to accompany the update...

Enjoyed spring break with College Boy. Especially loved seeing the Grand Canyon, experiencing that whole area with my sister Rayna and brother-in-law Paul, and touring through Antelope Canyon.

Got a new camera for my birthday so that made kayaking adventures even more fun!

Not to mention the great company – our friends Mike and Cindy.

Turned my photography into a little side business and created a logo (bottom right). Got to take some senior pictures, family pictures and a ton of sports pictures. Love, love, love it!

Got to "go crazy" at Prince Night at Target Field. Had nearly a dozen family members sitting together to enjoy Prince music, fancy umbrellas, Twins baseball, food, fun and fireworks! Awesome!

Had a long overdue Reporter Reunion this summer with my friends Kristin and Laura. We all worked up in Marinette and Menominee right out of college in the early '90s and we have kept in touch ever since. Now we finally got to SEE each other with a one-day road trip to our old stomping grounds. What a blessing.

Loved seeing Pentatonix this summer as my friends Carmen, Christine, Allie, and I ate our way through the Wisconsin State Fair.

Had lots of family time this year as two nephews got married. My nephew Zach in June and our nephew Colin in October. Carter was an usher for that one (above).

Probably the biggest change this year was a new job for me. Left my more technical-type writing position at Renaissance and started at the end of October at Sentry, joining some of my old publishing friends (above) in the marketing department. Miss my old co-workers a bunch, but it was the best move ever. I love it. Feels good to be creative again.

Overall, 2017 was a positive year for us. We have many friends and loved ones who lost someone this year and we keep our thoughts and prayers with them. For us, Jim's parents are doing well. And my mom turned 85 this year.
While we feel like we've been through some changes this year, Mom just experienced her biggest today. A majority of my siblings were able to move her out of her home of 50-some years into an apartment. This will be a major transition but we'll feel better about her safety and comfort. She's perfectly healthy and can drive, but she doesn't need to be worrying about heating a big house, snow removal or lawn care.

When we sell the house at some point this year, that will be my turn to transition into realizing my childhood home is forever gone to me. But Mom will help us all through that when the time comes, I'm sure.

Who knows what else 2018 will bring? I'm not worried. Overall, 2017 was a blessing. I will focus on that – well past midnight.

No comments: