Sunday, December 10, 2017

Tidings of Comfort and Joy

After weeks, months actually, of preparation, our church choir performed our Christmas Cantata today at both services.

That fact that it was 7 songs, a good half hour of singing in light robes that got heavier by the measure, and a true test of my anxiety levels and ability to stave off coughing fits is not important.

What is important is the message of hope carried out in the appropriately arranged songs. We were reminded that hope has lifted the human heart. Hope is timeless. Hope perseveres. Hope is powerful. Hope is eternal. Hope is unfading, undying, and unbroken.

We could add that hope is needed. Today. It sometimes can be lost. But it is here.

Do we believe that? How do convince others to believe that?

I can think of a lot of people in my life who are struggling to find hope. Find something positive right now. The toughest ones to convince, understandably so, are friends and family who are facing their first Christmas without a loved one. How does one share tidings of comfort and joy at a time like this?

By a very sad coincidence, I learned right after our performances today that my cousin's husband was killed in a car accident yesterday. Devastating news for our family living in the St. Louis area. What could any of us possibly say that could give Pam and the family hope?

Then, from church, hubby and I went to visit his uncle (and godfather) who was just last week diagnosed with cancer. We aren't sure how far it's progressed, but they are already in the "managing pain" phase. So hard to see this bigger-than-life man so fragile.

I held it together during the visit until his wife arrived. When she reminds us that "He was my life. He IS my life," what can you say in response? We just cried in each other's arms a minute and she said, "You don't have to say anything." Well that's good because I was at a loss for words.

Anything I could say to either of these women isn't strong enough to mend their breaking hearts. But all of us who love them are trying to find those magical words. Let us not lose hope. Not now.

I know hope can bring light to the darkness in our lives. I just pray God will find a way to show that through both comfort and joy this Christmas season.

Continued prayers of comfort and hope are welcomed and appreciated.


No comments: