Monday, December 4, 2017

Mileage High Club

Don't get the wrong idea. I am definitely talking about high mileage on the ground today. Not the oft-talked about fun a mile high in the sky.

We played a bit of musical cars today. Sort of like the musical chairs, but the sound and seat quality definitely got worse as the day went on.

Since my car was in for an oil change today, I had to take the old Civic – most often driven by College Boy when he is home. I just call it the Ghetto-Mobile. It's a black car with the rims painted black to match (that was done without parental consent, obviously). Only the back speakers work and the bass is pumped way up. The seat, on the other hand, is reclined way back. Thank goodness it was still adjustable so I could reach the gas pedal and see over the dash.

I shouldn't complain. Despite having 190,000-plus miles on it, it did get me to work OK.

Toward the end of the day, hubby texted me that our nephew Tony needed to borrow the Civic tomorrow so could I please drop it off at his place on the way home – then drive Tony's Jeep to our house?

Oh boy. Not a big deal to drop of the 2006 car. But getting into a vehicle that is another decade older and has another 100k on it was a bit unnerving. Never mind that you have a push-button door handle to get in, an actual window crank, and the lights are just pulled on and pushed off on the left side of the dash.

You know, Old School.

I didn't exactly get too far up to speed on the drive home. Wasn't sure if the radio worked either. But at least I could reach the gas and brake. And I did figure out how to put the lights on bright. About a half mile from home. Oh well.

I made my round trip today safely. That's all that counts. I will definitely appreciate my low-mileage, luxurious Honda Accord tomorrow. Well, it will see like it, anyway.

Guess we need "jalopies" now and then so we appreciate how good we've got it.



No comments: