Thursday, April 4, 2019

Planes, Trains, and Buses

I can tell you right now Murphy's Law has no place in a trip that doesn't have anything to do with Ireland.  Yet, there it was, my constant companion.

Hit the road a little after 8 am Wednesday. Got to my sister's in Hudson and she took me to the Minneapolis airport.  When I whizzed through security, I thought that was a good omen.


When I saw my  I trip 2 C Carter was starting from a C gate, I thought that was a good sign, too. What do I know?

I know that some crazy winds in New York City were capable of ruining my travels.  Apparently they were down to a runway so were slowly accepting flights. Our MSP flight was supposed to depart at 2:30 p.m. and arrive at 5:30 p.m. This was my face when I realized it was going to take awhile for weather clearance and we had to deplane.

We each had to call ticket agents in Atlanta (Delta Headquarters) and find new connecting routes. My connection was leaving JFK at 10pm, now going through Amsterdam. But it still was still was a tight layover.

My quick view of New York City racing to my gate. They were basically holding the plane for me!

And it was huge. Don't think I've flown in a plane that was two stories before.

Got to Amsterdam with another short layover. Had time to get through customs but not time to buy these great Dutch clogs.


Wrong size!

Took a city jumper jet on our way to Frankfurt. Once there, I created my own delays.
Followed  what I thought was sign to baggage claim. After a good half hour I assumed my bag didn't make all those layovers. I was wrong.

I learned there was a second baggage claim! Thank goodness the guy behind the counter took pity on me. He even walked me some back way over to the other baggage claim and there it was! Yay.

He also tried to help me get my bus ticket from Frankfurt to Heidelberg. I missed the ride I'd purchased ahead of time because,  well, New York City!

Finally got a new ticket after I was almost in tears following directions from one helpful person and another.

Hit the road and was so excited I'd see my baby boy in an hour. Then some accident happened about halfway there and traffic slowed to a crawl, then a standstill. Oh, Murphy, quit following me!

When I finally got to Heidelberg it was raining lightly but steadily.  But all I could see coming down the sidewalk was son-shine!
No pain. No gain. Move over, Murphy.  No room for you in this hug!

No comments: