Monday, April 8, 2019

The Road Ends Here

I'm sure the NCAA trademarked that phrase somewhere, but I think we all know The Road Ends Here – on Blue Jay Drive. It's good to be home safely and without too many headaches. I actually pulled into the driveway about 10:30 p.m., which was quite literally 24 hours after my alarm went off "this morning."


Since Carter and I said our goodbyes last night, I was packed up and headed to the bus station by 6:30 a.m. This pretty blue place is the train station. I took a short cut through there to get to the bus –  because I knew how! Figures I just get to know my way around the town and I'm gone.

My farewell! It was a culture shock getting to America and being able to read all the signs! I'll admit it was pretty challenging navigating through the Frankfurt Airport (again), but I made it. I slept a huge chunk of the 8 hours to New York City. Still, I was not prepared for re-entering the country. My country.

Nothing can quite describe the sea of humanity that is customs. Way in back you see the yellow/blue signs for each line. In total, there are 60 of them. Not joking. Hundreds if not thousands of people waiting to enter America. Slightly more organized than herding cats, I'd say.

Of course, right away they confuse you when one line is for "US Citizens" and another is for "Permanent Residents." I mean, what if I'm both? A permanent resident in the U.S as a legal citizen? I should have looked that up ahead of time. Oh well, I found another clueless woman and we bonded over our confusion and need to get to our connecting flights. Took an hour and thankfully I had a two-hour layover this time.


Felt good about the last leg of the trip since we had the Dalai Lama or his doppleganger riding with us. It was a bit turbulent but we made it the Minneapolis 20 minutes ahead of schedule! Which several Virginia fans were happy about. They were anxious to get to the stadium!

Me too! Just kidding. This is my niece's view. My sister and brother-in-law picked me up at MSP and I hopped in my car at their house in Hudson and hit the road.

Made a few stops for caffeine and a half-dozens brake-slamming honks for the many, many deer out tonight. Got home in time to see the end of the hoops game. Now I want to shower and hit the sack. But those darn Red Bulls have kicked in.

I told you traveling ain't for sissies. But it is oh so worth it! My heart is full.

Gute Nacht!

No comments: