Sunday, April 7, 2019

Prince Charming

Our view last night.
Got to see the famous Heidelberg Castle today. Pretty much what the city is known for. It attracts a million visitors a year. But I'm guessing a lot of them don't get there the same route did.

 Uphill. Like straight uphill. The whole time our calves were screaming, "Can you feel me now?" This business of vacationing in Europe isn't for sissies. Another 12 miles of steps today.

It was a gorgeous day, though. Sunny and mid 60s.
Once we got up top, the view was amazing. You can see all of Heidelberg nestled in the hills surrounding it.
And the castle... so huge! You can capture an image from the distance, but once you're in it, on it and inside it, you just can't get it all.
I did take plenty of pictures I'll share this week. After hiking around, we headed back down the hill and had lunch. Later, we hiked again -- this time on Philosopher's Way.
 Yup. Another tough climb!
Offered fantastic views of the city from the opposite river bank as down town and the castle.
There were gorgeous flowers in bloom up there, too. Ahh spring!

 Plus I found my tree! Why is there an R painted on the tree? I have no idea.

 After our trek back down, we rewarded ourselves with some  very authentic gelato. "Prost!" It's always good to toast a good drink or good ice cream!


Then, just like that,  the sun set on my trip. Am going to bed so I can get up at 530 a.m. and make my way back to America.

Probably gave Carter a dozen goodbye hugs and kisses, but he reminded me I'll see him 20 days. I can handle this now.

I'll share more pictures etc after my uneventful trip home (fingers crossed) and my recovery from jet lag.

Ciao for now!

No comments: