Wednesday, March 1, 2023

A Bit Maddening


I may or may not have been part of a mad scientist's experiment today. I mean it kind of felt like it. But in the end, I was better for it.

After work I returned to the chiropractor since my back is still out of whack from that fall on the ice last week. The pain is sporadic. I strung together a few good days, then last night and today were awful. Glad I had the appointment already set "just in case."

So she massaged and manipulated and then said I need more work and asked if I'd ever had electrotherapy. That's what she said, but what I heard was "electro shock therapy." And what I pictured was some combination of Young Frankenstein and grade school science experiment.

They did hook my up to 4 electrode wires that sent electric currents to my lower back, and "treated" me for 12 minutes. If you haven't had it done, it feels like the tingly sensation when your foot falls asleep or when you hit your funny bone. It's strange and I still wondered if I was being brainwashed in some fashion.

I guess if it convinced me my back felt a little better after it, then yes, my brain was altered. 

The relief isn't long-standing but better than nothing. After sharing my experience at choir practice tonight, it seems everyone knows what electrotherapy is and said I could even do it at home! Not the science experiment above, but getting my own little TENS therapy kit they call it.

With that I had a fleeting memory of using a friend's kit like 10 years ago. But something must have erased that memory until today! Anyway, by the time we were through singing our first song of the night, I'd ordered my own on Amazon and it'll be here Friday. 

Right after I have my next appointment with the mad scientists. I can't wait. When it comes to relieving pain, I'll pretty much try anything, I'm that much of a wimp. And not afraid to admit it.

I'm vowing to pay more attention the rest of this winter though. Yes, it's March today but it's still here. And based on today's commute to work, there's still some ice out there – so be careful on foot or on wheels!

No comments: