Saturday, May 9, 2009

Carpe Diem!

If you recall from the movie Dead Poets Society, carpe diem is a Latin phrase that means "seize the day"... Live for the moment... Seize moments of pleasure without concern... Play hooky and go golfing on nice, sunny days...

(I think that last one is a Scandi-hoovian translation. At least it was yesterday!)

With the mercury kissing 70 and not a cloud in the sky, hubby and I had no discussion -- just instant and complete agreement -- that it would be the perfect Friday to cut out early from work, get 9 holes in and then get Carter from the sitter's at normal pick-up time.

Everything worked out perfectly... except for my golf game! I was expecting a rough outing, though. It was my first time out this season. Can you believe that? Something is wrong if it's Mother's Day weekend and I am hitting the links for the first time. Not right. We need to work on that.

We did pick up Carter on time and, after checking the radar, decided that we'd probably get rained on at the races so we stayed home. As it turned out, the rain held off until quite a bit later so we could have gone. (Colin finished third.)

Instead, though, we enjoyed a great evening around the fire ring next door -- talking silly, sipping cold ones and eating s'mores (well, hubby was sipping and I was s'moring). Good times.

This morning, the rain had stopped so Carter and I hit the Kellner areawide garage sales. I was on a mission to find some books, any books really. Carter was looking to replace the stuff we just sold on our garage sale. We were pretty much shut out. I found only 4 books -- at the last of the dozen or so sales we stopped at, and that was it. Carter managed to get some sports cards there, too, and that was it. I think Jim was secretly happy to see us walk in with only a handful of items!

This afternoon Carter had soccer. By then, the drizzling rain had reappeared and the wind picked up, gusting at 15-25 mph or something crazy like that. So I was wimp and sat inside the CRV to watch the game. It wasn't a good one for team Sydney. Carter had one dramatic save as goalie -- where I was quite sure he was going to get kicked in the face -- but he and his replacement needed quite a few more like that. The final was 4-1. Bummer.

Now it's just cold and rainy. We decided we aren't going to the races tonight (in Marshfield) either. They'll be plenty of nice Saturdays this summer. So I finally sat down at the computer and watched the 100th episode of Grey's that I missed Thursday night -- and that might be as strenuous as the rest of my night gets.

I need to carpe diem davenport... Which in Scandi-hoovian means "seize the couch & the remote while I have the chance!"

It's Mother's Day weekend after all...

No comments: