Saturday, May 23, 2009

Racing Against the Clock

Last night I fell asleep with a book in my hand so my body knew it needed some rest. I did not fight that decision. And did not set an alarm today. And (yay!) did not roll outta bed before 8 a.m. Nice.

Between the sleep (and coffee, of course), I was motivated to get going on my list of things to do. Since it was supposed to be nice, hubby and I headed outdoors -- he to paint window trim and me to pull weeds and do the type of minimal landscaping things my black thumb can handle.

I was cruising along and through one area when I felt the first rain drops. This was not in the plans. Trust me, any other day I'd be happy to be relieved of such duties. But not now, with the party clock ticking. (Good thing I'm so good at managing change. Ha.)

I moved my motivation indoors and got my normal Saturday housekeeping "chores" done. It was still raining so I figured I'd sit down at the computer and work on the grad project. Made some good progress there.

The weather cleared later this afternoon, too, so we (Jim, the pre-teen B.P. -- Bottomless Pit -- and I) were able to keep our plans to go to Marshfield to watch Colin race. We looked like his official fan club -- all 3 of us decked out in our Colin Reffner blue jackets!

That must have done the trick. He was fast qualifier then moved from last to first in the heat race. (Winner Circle time!) In the feature, he moved up to second and steadily closed the gap with Mr. First Place. Colin later said he figured he just needed another 2 laps to pass him. Oh well, maybe next time. It still made for a good, exciting race.

And made for another late night. I'm gettin' too old for this. Thankfully, I've got two more non-alarm days to recover...

Hope you're finding ways to enjoy the long weekend, too!

No comments: