Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Fresh Starts

Today was a day of fresh starts for us.

Let's begin with the important one. We went into work early so I could leave awhile this morning to bond with my hair artist, Rachel. OK, not the most important. I guess I meant, let's go chronologically...

I was in desperate need to see her. Hadn't been there in 2+ months and was looking it (and feeling it). I told her to "summer-ize" me with a new 'do. So I'm lightened up a bit and feeling like the last of the winter blahs have been rinsed away.

Now for the really important one. Tonight was the first baseball game of the season. Coach Jim Buttermaker and his assistant Coach Mike Buttermaker were hoping to turn last year's Bad News Bears season around. And, thanks to new talent (and hubby's new pair of coaching shorts), they did.

The Tigers (as they are called this year, wearing the Detroit logo), beat the Nationals 15-6. Carter had one strikeout and two walks. Nothing special but nothing bad, either. We'll take it.

In a post-game news conference, Coaches Buttermaker were hesitant to sound too confident about the season. But this observant reporter caught them smiling with that look of satisfaction in their eyes. Not cockiness. Just satisfaction with an understated glimmer of hope.

Bet Coach Jim wears those new stylish gray shorts again. Seriously, they're not weird, fancy or unusual. But there's nothing that says we can't have a new ritual for this fresh new season. We'll go with what works for the Win column, right? Even if it means I keep the score book again. (Hey I didn't cheat. I swear!)

Let's go Tigers!

No comments: