Monday, May 18, 2009

Manic Monday

Just because the calendar says it's Monday doesn't mean it has to feel like one. But it always does.

I actually started off on an ambitious note. Got up early and was out for a run/walk adventure at 5:15. I say adventure because it can never be something simple with me, can it? My left leg was bothering me a little last night (probably after running yesterday for the first time in like 9 months) but I didn't think about that this morning. Until I broke into a jog and then, man, did that hurt. I thought I'd be tolerant of pain for once and tough it out. Stupid. It pretty much bugged me all day whenever I got up from sitting awhile. (Ibuprofen was my new BFF.)

Had some work issues that led to some stress. I thought my computer died first thing right after I logged in. But two hours later, when IT showed up, I found out it was just that particular electrical outlet that went kaput. I guess I should have thought to check that.

By 4 o'clock, when something good finally happened, I actually treated our department to cookies. Gotta celebrate the small stuff these days!

When we picked Carter up, we found out he failed another reading test. Yikes. I even read the book yesterday and quizzed him on it. I really felt good about what he knew. Not sure where the disconnect is so I emailed his teacher tonight and we'll see if she can shed some light. In the meantime, since the rest of our evenings are filling up this week, I've got him reading, reading, reading tonight so he can try another book test this week. There's just not enough time left in the school year.

Tomorrow he has a field trip to a veterans' museum or something in Madison. I've been on this de-cluttering kick so I threw out all the info about it. I don't even know if he needs a snack or money or what. So I'll sent a little of everything with him.

I worked a little on Casey's project tonight. I'm pretty sure an 18-year-old is not reading his stepmother's blog for entertainment so I guess I can tell you -- I'm working on a digital scrapbook for him. The "work" part of it is scanning in all these old photos (pre-digital days). The "fun" part will be when I can start creating the pages. And then have this all done by the weekend, of course. Hey, I'm a journalist at heart. I thrive on deadlines!

Honestly, I feel like my brain has reached capacity. What was I thinking starting off a Monday of all days with ambitious thoughts anyway? At least when my head hurts, I'm not thinking about my leg. And when my leg hurts, I'm just not thinking.

Time to call it a night...

No comments: