Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Mountain Climbing

The thing about a shortened work week is that Hump Day comes a lot quicker. And that hump, well, it's a lot bigger -- more like a mountain -- and you've got a shorter time to get over it.

So we're up and at 'em early again, ready to go mountain climbing.

I heard this song on the radio the other day that reminded me of this "climb" we make at work each week and many times in our normal lives.

There's always gonna be another mountain
I'm always gonna wanna make it move
Always gonna be a uphill battle,
Sometimes I'm gonna have to lose,
Ain't about how fast I get there,
Ain't about what's waiting on the other side
It's the climb...


In fact, the song is called The Climb. And yes, (I'm cringing with more than a touch of embarrassment as I write this) Miley Cyrus does sing it. And no, I am not a card-carrying member of the Hannah Montana Fan Club.

I should probably stick with more age-appropriate material like Julie Andrews singing Climb Every Mountain in The Sound of Music.

Either way, the message is the same: Don't be intimidated by the size of the "mountain" (the goal, the project). Just go for it and try to enjoy the climb while you're at it. Or, at a minimum, learn something about yourself. Maybe even become a better person because of it.

Earlier this week, I was pre-emptively overwhelmed by a project I'd barely started. All I saw was the size of that mountain and thought, how the heck am I going to get over that?! I had forgotten that mountain climbers usually don't go it alone (read: accept help/support) and they don't expect to reach the summit in a single day.

So I can do this! Bring on Hump Day or whatever you want to call it!

I just have to figure out what to do about my fear of heights when I get near the top...

No comments: