Thursday, May 21, 2009

Under-Dog Days of Summer

The warm front that hit my nephew in South Dakota on Monday and half my family in Minnesota on Tuesday stayed its course and brought summer to central Wisconsin Wednesday.

It was a weird mix of heat (temps around 90) and wind (25-35 mph). And I loved it.

To me, it said, "Summer's here. Who wants ice cream?"

I was hoping to do an inaugural run to Shivers, the ice cream shop in Iola, but that didn't work out. I was saved by my friend Jana, who brought Dilly Bars because she won the Survivor pool. I came in second. She gets the cash and I get a mint chocolate Dilly Bar. And I'm OK with that.

I don't even watch Survivor so I don't know if my character was a nice guy people hoped would win or if viewers were relieved he got what he deserved in the end!

The only "reality" show I watch is American Idol -- and that's only occasionally. I've seen bits and pieces the last several weeks -- enough to know that I wanted Danny Gokey (from Wisconsin) to win.

He was sent home last week but I figured I'd better catch some of it this week to see how it ends. It came down to the flamboyant favorite, Adam, and the quiet underdog, Kris.

They had a 2-hour finale last night but I only watched about 15 minutes of it. The end, of course. I was so surprised when they read the results and said Kris won! He looked pretty shocked, too!

I guess there is hope for the underdog after all.

Maybe this bodes well for the Bad News Bears or, better yet, my chances for winning the lottery. I better check those Powerball numbers from last night...

No comments: