Monday, May 4, 2009

Tornado Awareness

Today is the first Monday of the month so that means I started off the morning with my monthly back-crackin' appointment.

As usual, my chiropractor scolds me for abusing my back but secretly is thinking: "Keep it up. I need a new SUV." I'm kidding, of course. He's a great guy (and coincidentally, does drive a pretty nice vehicle!).

You'd think starting off the day so well-adjusted would be sign of things to come. But such was not the case.

I was having some computer problems at work -- as in, they were not working fast enough for me. So I found myself working on 3 computers to get something done. I'd save on my computer, then on the laptop on my desk, then hop to the desk next to mine (my co-worker was gone), then back to my desk. It sort of felt like musical chairs. And I wondered how long it would take to create a funnel cloud like the Tasmanian Devil.

But that really wasn't the main problem today. I had some negative thoughts festering in the back of my mind. I was upset about a situation from the weekend and I could not stop thinking about it. And the more I thought about it, the more frustrated and angry I became. So as my body moved like a tornado, my mind was creating a whirling dervish of its own.

I had built myself into a full-blown ticked-off stage at the individuals involved when hubby reminded me I can't do anything about the situation or those people. If they want to be selfish, I can't change that -- or them.

That darn Serenity Prayer! Having to accept the things (and people and situations) I cannot change!

It's not so easy. Especially when I was so worked up in my personal twister! I kept justifying it, saying "I have a right to be angry." But I finally had to let it go. Amazingly, that felt better.

Think about when a wicked storm blows through. The air is so charged with energy during the storm. Then afterwards, suddenly it's cool and calm and peaceful.

And you can't beat the smell of fresh rain.

No comments: