Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Muffins with Mom

Like clockwork, Carter calls me at work at 7:45 each morning to check in before he heads over to the next-door neighbors and out to the bus. I look forward to these calls -- even if they are usually just a recap of what was on ESPN since he woke up.

Today we got to enjoy our morning conversation in person at his school, where the parent-teacher organization hosted a "Muffins with Mom" event.

This was much like last month's "Donuts with Dad" event. Only we didn't get any glazed rings of sweet dough. We mothers each got half a muffin and half a banana -- like we're all on diets.

Oh wait. We are.

There wasn't a program or anything. Just eat with your kid and run off to work (or wherever). One of Carter's classmates (the girl he claims he hates but talks about every day) was taking pictures. She asked the boy at our table if he wanted a picture with his mom. Then, when I assumed it was our turn, she looks at Carter and said, "I already took one of you!" Young love starts in the form of stalking...

Since I had to go work, I didn't stay too long. He thanked me for joining him and quickly added, "and you're welcome for me letting you come." He didn't say it sarcastically so I bit back my response and just said, "It was my pleasure."

And despite hunger pains an hour or so later, it was.

No comments: