Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Hunger Pains

There's one thing that spreads even quicker than gossip -- and that's word of a good book. As a big reader, I love when people suggest great reads that I might not otherwise consider. Most times, I find myself enjoying the suggested book and, in turn, recommend it to someone else.

I don't always follow the hype of a book that's turned into a movie. Sometimes I'm prompted to read the book, but inevitably am disappointed in some aspect of the movie. My Sister's Keeper, for example, completely skipped the big shock value of the book when it had a different ending on the big screen. The movie The Help was quite true to the book, I'm told, so now I want to read it.

A few years ago, when the Twilight hype was overtaking all ages of readers I know, I resisted the temptation. I'm pretty sure vampires in any shape or form are not my thing. This past week, though, as I heard more and more and more about The Hunger Games, I wondered if maybe there could be something to this hype. Is this even my kind of book? Should I give it a try?

I finally fell victim to the pressure and bought the first book in the trilogy on Monday. It was a quick, easy and very interesting read. This morning, I was reading on the way to work and all through the day I wondered if there was a way I could sneak out to the car and keep reading. For the record, I didn't do that. But I wasted no time finishing it up tonight.

I can see how it can appeal to all ages. It's a unique story. The only thing I didn't like about it is that when I finished it, I didn't have book #2 in my possession. I have to get my hands on that! If the movie ends like the book, I can see how they will have a sequel on their hands. I mean they'll have to. No more hints or spoilers.

While I thought I was perhaps the last person in America to read it, I have 3 people on a waiting list to get my book #1 next... not including Carter, who started it once but didn't get the opportunity to finish. I'm wondering how in the world he could not finish it?? But I think he borrowed it from some girl and she needed it back. So he did what she asked.

Now that story never gets old.

No comments: