Friday, March 2, 2012

Planes, Trains & Automobiles

Two months ago today, I sat in the ER hooked up to all kinds of wires for an EKG and a bevy of tests. The ensuing two-month drama has been nothing short of pure hell for me. Today, though, for the first time, I was normal.

Sure, I had to break down and get a little tiny dose of assistance, but I felt normal finally. And I was so excited to drive to and from work -- even in snow -- with no anxiety whatsoever. Amazing! I was so happy I stopped at King Cone in Plover and got ice cream for all of us. Yes, they opened just for me! (Well, it was just me at the moment.)

I was so relieved and excited about everything. Then I learned I passed the baton of bad luck to hubby. And right now he is living out a scene -- well, the whole movie practically -- of Planes, Trains & Automobiles. If you've seen the John Candy-Steve Martin movie, you know something of the nightmare he's experiencing! Though, I'm pretty sure it's not funny yet.

It started this morning with the severe storms and tornadoes that swept through the central U.S. I don't even know if they hit St. Louis, where hubby and 4 co-workers have been at a trade show, but they were severe enough to cancel flights for most of the day.

Since one of Jim's co-workers had driven down a company car -- a big ol' Suburban with probably a million miles on it -- they all decided to ride back in that this afternoon instead of staying an extra day in St. Louis. Sensible plan except that they were leaving one area of storms for another. This time, facing snow.

As the afternoon wore on, I was getting texts from Jim about how slow-going things were. In fact, it was 3 hours ago when he said they were stopped in traffic on a freeway in Illinois because there were several storm-related semi and car wrecks in both the north- and south-bound lanes. They ended up having to sit there for 2 hours -- while Carter and I enjoyed a quick Assumption boys basketball win (69-26).

After they got going again, this is after 7 p.m., the Suburban started "limping along... It's trying to break down," Jim said. Their hope was to get as far as the Rockford Airport (I'm sure a small one) so they could rent a vehicle and get to Madison, where Jim's car is parked. Turns out, every rental place along the way closed at 6 p.m.

I hate getting texts like "35 mph on the shoulder... don't think we can make it." I feel so helpless! I certainly have plenty of people praying for their safe return. It's also a good thing the snow is moving east and out of their way.

Last message I got was 20 minutes ago indicating they still had 37 miles to go to Madison. Trust me, that is a long ways. It's just short of driving from our house to Iola and I have done that, if you recall, with car issues. Not fun. Very stressful. I am sure not the team bonding experience the 5 of them signed up for!

Their first goal is to make it to Madison. Second would be to get a rental vehicle for the 4 going on to Stevens Point. If nothing is open, I imagine they have to all squeeze into our tiny Honda Civic and Jim will have to take them home in Point before coming home to Rapids.

Now he just texted and said they should make it to Madison OK. Cross your fingers!

Uff da. Thankfully, for him, this is his last work trip for the winter.

Have I mentioned we hate 2012? I think so. Sigh...

No comments: