Saturday, March 3, 2012

Strike It Up

Some friends of ours caught us at a weak moment awhile back and we decided to sign up with them for a bowling tournament today.

The last time I bowled was when we were in some scotch-double tourney with them. I didn't like that format. It's sort of like "alternate shot" in golf scrambles. Too much pressure and not a good time when your partner is 100 times better than you.

That was 2 years ago. Maybe bowling is like riding a bike. You don't forget how. The problem is, I've never been a very good bike rider.

Today's format, thankfully, was 9-pin tap. That meant that if you hit 9 pins down, that was considered a strike. Perfect for me who always manages to leave one pin short of a strike! It took me awhile to hit my stride. In fact, the whole first game. Luckily they scratch the lowest of 4 -- yes 4 -- games.

So while I only shot a 79 the first game, I managed some respectible over 100 games after that -- which was my main goal! Shot 169, 163 then a 128 for my tired 4th game.
Hubby doesn't bowl any more often than my once every few years, but he never loses his touch! His worse game was like my best! He scratched his 164 but kept his 220, 212 and 206. Way to go! As competitive as I am, I wisely wouldn't dream of trying to beat Jim in bowling!

Actually, I had a ton of fun today knowing there was no pressure to win anything. And no chance either. I just enjoyed spending some time with my friends Jenny (left) and Christine pictured above -- and their hubbies -- with no kids and a little adult conversation.


We didn't win any prizes but someone felt sorry for me and gave me a bag of jelly beans. Yum. That's as good as a trophy in my book!

No comments: