Thursday, March 8, 2012

Angels We Have Heard on High

It may seem strange to title my blog after a Christmas Carol in March, but you'll understand in a minute...

Today hubby and I went to a funeral for my mother-in-law's sister, who has been suffering from Lou Gehrig's Disease. As the debilitating disease progressed, she was losing weight, losing ability to function normally, even to speak clearly. By the end of last week, she actually went a few days without voicing anything. It was Saturday then that a priest was called to administer Last Rites. Later that evening, nothing short of a miracle occurred.

Surrounded by her husband and children, she suddenly woke up, could speak perfectly clearly and told them about seeing Mary, Jesus, angels and her young grandson who died a few years ago. Unreal. She also was able to talk to each of them individually to say goodbye.

What an amazing story. What a comfort to the family, too, to not only say farewell but know she is out of pain and home with God.

Of course, it didn't make the funeral any less sad. It hits too close to home when I see my mother-in-law and her surviving sisters so distraught. How could I survive losing one of MY sisters? I couldn't!!

It reminds me how blessed I am to not only have my parents but my 7 siblings, too -- who are angels in their own right.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As oldest sibling, I have the old, tarnished halo.