Friday, December 14, 2012

Dark Side

I can't always find a "Light Side" on this blog. I mostly try to keep it funny or inspiring in a positive way. But occasionally I am at a loss for words.

Today is one of those days.

I was at work when I learned early on of the school shooting in Connecticut. As a parent, I immediately have an uncontrolled physical reaction. I got chills, something akin to goose bumps, as I sat there, stunned. Every time a detail came out, my body reacted the same. Like when I first learned it was at an elementary school, not a high school or college. And then when I learned of the unbelievably large number of victims. I just got chills to the point I was numb, I guess.

It's just so shocking. My mind raced with questions. Who would do this? Why? Why innocent children? What would someone have against them? Isn't it safe to send my kid to school? Is it safe anywhere?

It's so incredibly tragic. I can only pray God will offer some comfort and understanding to the hundreds who are grieving. I know I couldn't wait to see Carter after school to give him a hug! I vowed that I was going to hug him no matter how much it would embarrass him in front of his friends. But I sort of tempered that a bit.

Carter and two of his friends stayed after school and went to the girls basketball game. Since his two friends are staying overnight tonight, I had to go pick them up. First, hubby and I went to a nearby saloon to hear our friend "Kat" play in her band. When it was halftime of the basketball game, I left the establishment and went to town to pick up the boys. (I got to see the fourth quarter of the game. We won.)

I dropped the boys off at our house, gave Carter an earnest hug in front of his 2 friends (they only picked on him a little), then left the boys on their own. I picked up Jim and we went to an "adult gathering" with 3 other couples from school. It was a great time. And so good to sit and laugh and not think about the dark day.

We got home at a little after 1 a.m. and I am ready to drop. Carter and friends, however, are still wide awake in the basement, sipping soda, eating chips and playing video games like they could do it all night long. Wasn't I young and full of energy like that once?

I'm a little bit jealous. But mostly just grateful we have a group of healthy boys here ... and my baby is safe. For today.

Thanks be to God.

No comments: