Monday, December 10, 2012

For the Moment

It was a year ago today that my dad was released from a hospital in Minneapolis after his heart attack and subsequent flight for life.

In some ways it seems like years ago -- so much has happened to fill up that year -- but in other ways, it seems like yesterday -- I'll never forget the shock, the worry, the realization that we could lose someone we love at a moment's notice.

Or no notice.

I've been praying the last few days for some people on both ends of the age spectrum. One is my second cousin's 17-year-old son who died a few days ago -- with no notice. A senior in high school, he had his whole life ahead of him. Now his family is left to deal with the questions, the pain and the empty place in their hearts as they go through life and wonder what he'd be doing if he were still here.

Since I live so far away from my family and cousins, I never got the chance to meet this boy. That doesn't lessen my grief or concern for those closest to him. The thought of losing a child, at any age really, just breaks my heart. I pray my cousins will find comfort.

The second person on my mind is my brother-in-law's mother, who ironically was airlifted to that same Minneapolis hospital late Saturday after a massive stroke. Things aren't looking too good for her. And while she has lived a full life, that doesn't lessen the shock and worry her family is experiencing.

This woman and her wonderful son have been a part of my life since I was Carter's age. My sister married him some 30 years ago so my brother-in-law isn't exactly "extended family" any more. He IS family. He and my sister have two wonderful sons and two adorable grandsons. All who are praying now for this woman to recover, but at the same time, preparing to say goodbye.

I remember when Dad was in the hospital. I realized it could be time for the final farewell. I wasn't ready. I'm still not ready. Are we ever? I know I couldn't handle saying goodbye to a parent or child right now. But I guess that's why we pray. To give people in that situation the strength to get through it.

In the meantime, all we can do -- and must do --  is cherish our loved ones for the moment... while they are here so we have no regrets.

No comments: