Monday, December 31, 2012

Troubling 2012

I recall 10 or 11 months ago, when I was in the depths of despair, hubby assured me that some day we'd look back and say, "2012 sure started off on a crappy note. Glad we got through it!"

Don't tell him I said this, but he was right.


If you recall, during the holidays, I had those near-fainting episodes -- one while driving -- and ended up in the E.R. (above) on New Year's Day. That spiraled into the weird flu/virus that had me light-headed for several weeks and eventually unsurfaced severe anxiety. Somewhere between dizzy spells and outright panic attacks, I found myself on the Witch Doctor's couch for some voodoo magic and, later, at the pharmacy for anti-anxiety meds. (And let's not forget the cancer "scare" with Dr. Fun. Thankfully, that was caught early and removed.)

Uff da.

Yes, with a lot of help and support, I did get through that and, come to think of it, we never really did get to ring in the new year!

I don't mind saying good riddance to 2012 at all!

On a positive note, though, I learned some valuable lessons. I am not alone. And I do not have to do anything alone. I have a husband, family and friends who are ultra-supportive. I saw that in the last 365 days. A lot.

I also was reminded that I can't take anything for granted. Anything can go on a moment's notice -- my health, confidence, loved ones, financial stability, even faith. I must cherish what I have while I have it. I'd rather not be reminded again with such a dramatic wake-up call!

As I say goodbye to my troubling 2012, I will carry these lessons with me into 2013. There is no guarantee this new year will start any better than the last, but I can handle it. If I can't, I can just reach out to one of you and know we'll be able to tackle it together!

I hope you found much to be thankful for this year. We're all here, right? I'd say that's a great way to start 2013!

No comments: