Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Dizzy on Ice

We had all the makings of a Disney on Ice spectacular today. We had the ice. We had mood-setting fog. And plenty of Dizzy stars... cars going in circles 'til they were dizzy or ditched.

I knew it was supposed to sleet again during the night. So when I was eating breakfast and saw it was 35 degrees, I was relieved it wouldn't be icy out there. Then, I checked Facebook and saw the announcement that school was closed!

Wow, I did not see that coming.

For some reason, and I wish I knew why, they never ever have 2-hour delays in the Rapids school districts. They just close. So while 90% of the schools listed on the website were just late today, we were closed. Unfortunately, I had already dragged Carter's butt out of bed at this point, but he ate breakfast and crawled back in while I contemplated my next move.

In the end, knowing there were things that had to get done in the physical office today, I gave myself a 2-hour delay and went to work. That was a good call. The roads were still slippery in many places but overall, not too bad. There also was still a lot of fog. The whole way over to Iola. So I'm glad I waited until daylight to go.

Carter called a little after noon when he rolled out of bed. Now you don't feel sorry for him, do you?

Despite the wacky weather, hubby made it home safely from California this afternoon, arriving home around 5 p.m. I was there to greet him, along with Carter and two cable company employees! Full house. And yes, it was worth it to get that TV in place. It's a really nice upgrade and we are now in the land of DVR -- a decade after most people!

But a new cable and Internet package weren't the only things of note. With still traces of his golf sunburn, Jim joins us under our winter storm warning for tonight and tomorrow. We "could" get 5-10 inches of snow here. That's a big range.

After today's surprise, I am not even going to hazard a guess. I'll just get working on my Ice Capades routine!

No comments: