Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Snow Angels

When we got up this morning and it was only 12 below zero with a windchill about 30 below, we figured it just wasn't quite cold enough to call off school. Much to Carter's disappointment, we were right. It was, however, one of those days where you didn't want to take too deep a breath or stay outside even seconds longer than necessary! The painful kind of cold.

My mom recalls that it was 24 below zero -- with probably super dangerous windchills -- 50 years ago today. That was the day she went into the hospital to deliver her first set of twins.

I can only imagine the chaos that day with 5 kids under the age of 12 at home and 2 more on the way. I don't know if they all stayed home awaiting word of their new siblings or went with to the hospital or what. I do know it was probably one of the hardest days they all had to get through.

And it had nothing to do with the weather.

Mom gave birth to a girl and a boy. Sadly, the girl gasped for one breath and died. Her brother held on for 3 hours before he joined his sister in heaven. Like two precious snow angels on a winter's day.

I can't even comprehend how my mother held it together. Did she have to comfort her surviving children or did they comfort her? The really tragic chapter in this story is that that was not the end of it. When she got pregnant again -- also with twins -- it was another day of mixed emotions. Again she had a girl and a boy. Sadly, the boy didn't make it through the day. My sister Rachel, praise the Lord, was so tiny but she held on. And is still going strong 48 years later.

How my mother must have feared one more pregnancy 4 years later. And to find out that for the third time, she was going to have twins. How much grief and despair could she shoulder? Somehow, by the grace of God, my twin sister and I were born normal. Well, yes, I do stretch the word "normal" a bit. But we were healthy and alive and here to stay.

Jim and I went to the funeral home tonight for visitation for the mother of one of his high school friends. I could see it was hard enough to say goodbye to a parent. I can't even fathom the reverse -- saying goodbye to your child, at any age, knowing they still have so much life ahead of them. Bless all of you have been in this situation. You have my admiration and support.

We know a family today that is close to dealing with this tragic turn of events. Their poor little girl Hannah has been battling leukemia for several years now. After just celebrating last month that she was cancer-free, she now faces a new batch of medical issues from pneumonia to fluid around her heart. I don't know how much her little body can handle but I am asking you to please pray God will give her the strength to do it.

We just don't need any more snow angels today.

No comments: