Thursday, January 31, 2013

Thursday Thriller

Today was a planned day to work at home because I had a dental cleaning at noon. I think you know those are scheduled 6 months out and when they need to change it, you gotta take what you can get.

I had a doctor appointment right before it that took too long. They had to take blood, too, and I didn't even faint! I was too worried about getting over to the dentist on time! I got there with about a minute to spare.

It was worth it, though. Every once in awhile a random conversation really makes my day.

Dental hygienist: I really like your outfit today!
Me: Thanks!
She: It looks like something out of a magazine. Did you buy it all together?
Me: No. Actually I got the jeans at Wal-Mart a few years ago. I got the sweater at a garage sale and the boots for Christmas.
She: Wow. Now I'm even more impressed.
Me (to myself): Oh, so this is what can happen when I don't wear sweats all the time!


Honestly, it was nothing special but it is true that 9 times out of 10, when I'm working at home, I leave home in my comfy working-at-home clothes. And they don't usually attract compliments!

I thought for awhile that conversation would be my thrill for the day, but then we went to the girls basketball game tonight. Now the Assumption girls have a legacy of greatness. Seriously. We have been pretty much undefeated or have one loss during the past several years. Plus they won at state two years in a row when Carter was a baby.

Tonight they played Marathon, a ranked team that was pretty darn good. It was a much tighter battle than I expected. The adrenaline amongst the team and the fans was insanely high. It felt like a playoff game with the lead never more than 4 points for either team. It was tied at half and at the end of the third quarter. We were actually down with 3 minutes to go. We somehow had a 3-point lead with a minute to go. And that was a long minute. We got lucky that with 6 seconds left or so, we got fouled and could extend the lead. 

We ended up winning the thriller 38-34. Our girls are now 16-0 overall and 9-0 in the conference! That's pretty awesome for our little school! 

Now if we can just tone down the rush of adrenaline so we can all get some sleep... except Carter, who I am sure has homework that didn't get done before tip-off.

I'm just guessing.

No comments: