Monday, January 28, 2013

Frosty Flexibility

It's a good thing my job is flexible most of the time so I can work from my home office when the wimpy side of me feels I need to.

Today I felt like it.

I was concerned about the weather and actually got up around 3 a.m. It was freezing rain then so I made the decision I would not be venturing out at 6:45 a.m. Some of the schools around here were two hours late. Not ours, though.

So off Carter went and, after a cup of coffee, I sat down at the computer. I honestly did not move -- hardly -- until about 2 p.m. I just kept typing away and clicking off items from my work list of things to do. About 2, I went out to get the mail and realized the plow had gone through and left an ice shelf at the end of my driveway. So, against my better judgment, I got the shovel and picked away at it. I needed to make a path just wide enough for the car. The snow/ice mix was so heavy, I did not shovel the path any wider than necessary! (Later when I returned home, a secret snowblower came and finished!)

I had to get out at 4 to meet Carter at the dentist office. Then, since he was such a good boy and had no cavities, we went to Wal-Mart and bought a 40-inch HDTV!

OK, that's not exactly how it happened.

True, he didn't have cavities. And true, we bought the TV. But that was planned.

Tomorrow we are getting a long-awaited cable-Internet upgrade that will give us faster Internet connection and, on the TV side, give us something like 90 more channels and 60 HD channels compared to our current 15 or 20. That includes both Hallmark Channels in hi-def. Whoot!

We figured the timing was right to get rid of the 15-year-old clunker TV in the basement with the big crack along the side (yet still functional) and replace it with an HDTV so they can hook up all our HDTVs (that would be TWO) in one visit.

So while hubby was getting sunburned at work in California, Carter and I went and spent my "gold" money! Got a decent deal and, more importantly, got the TV to fit in the car AND hooked up correctly at home. Even though it did require some assembly for the stand attached to the TV and the stand it sits on. It wasn't quite deep enough so I had to hammer an extension into place.

For now, it looks good, but we wisely did not throw out the box. We'll see if it looks even better with an actual HD connection. Ha.

Tonight we are supposed to get that darn freezing rain again but I will have to get to the office no matter what tomorrow. There's things I can only do at the office, so I will brave it and go. I'll just take my time, make sure I have some homemade treats with me and they'll take me when I get there!

No comments: