Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Testing My Resolve

I haven't said much about the dreaded New Year's Resolutions yet because, well, I suck at keeping them. Every year it's pretty much the same thing: Get my body and house in shape!

De-toxify, de-clutter, de-termination.

I suppose if I actually accomplished the goal, I wouldn't have to repeat myself. But then what would I write about?

Actually, I have one main goal this year that has nothing to do with layers of clothing or dust. I am going to work at being less selfish. How does one do that when I write a blog all about me, me, me?

Basically, it involves a few different approaches. I'm going to work on thinking of others before myself.  Work on relationships so the people dearest to me remain so. Try a little patience. (I really don't want to rush through this stage of my life anyway, do I?) Appreciate more. Remember that happiness isn't having what we want, it's wanting what we have.

It's not going to be that easy. Already tonight I was thinking (read: whining) how I would just like to go one night without being the nagging mother. For the first years of childhood it was about teeth brushing, then it was baths and showers. Now it's homework, homework, homework. Why would someone want to stay up late when they could just get it done before and after supper and enjoy the evening? Makes no sense to me.

But I wouldn't trade this minor challenge for anything. I say "minor" because I know people who have "major" challenges with their teenagers -- grades, behavior, attitude, you name it. Not to say ours aren't coming at some point. For now, though, I would rather have this tiny cross to bear than something else.

Here's a tragic, but true, example.

A friend of mine has a longtime friend with a daughter the same age as our boys. When this girl was just 4 years old, she had to go to the doctor for a toothache and they found a cancerous tumor. When they did surgery to remove it, something went wrong. I can't remember the exact details but I think she was "under" too long or something. And, as a result, she's basically been a vegetable her entire childhood and adolescence.

I bet her mother would give anything to have to nag her daughter to do homework. Instead, she can't even take her to a regular school. She'll never have to stay up late writing a paper because her sports practice went late. In fact, she won't be able to brush her teeth or bathe on her own.

Ever.

Yes, I resolve to think more of others, pray for them, help them, give them a kind word -- and appreciate my ability to do so. I will strive to find the positive -- and the light side -- to things, people and situations that challenge me. It's gotta be there somewhere. I'm sure of it.

No comments: