Thursday, January 24, 2013

Thankful Thursday

It's a simple fact: The more people I have to pray for, the more blessed I feel.

I was talking to a friend today who has been suffering some serious anxiety when it comes to driving. Much like I was going through a year ago at this time. I passed on what knowledge I could and felt so thankful I got through all that.

But that wasn't the worst of her challenges this new year. She is having an operation next week because she has breast cancer. Now we both had our mommy parts squished like pancakes the same day in October. Both of us were called back for a second look. Hers became the worst possible scenario while my worries were flattened to oblivion. Whoa. While I will continue to pray for her, I am super thankful I'm OK.

I talked to another friend today dealing with some child-rearing issues. She's weathered some tough battles and I fear more are inevitable. As much as I may complain that my teenager is a bit on the lazy side and has carved a dent in the couch with his butt -- AND refuses to let me hug him in public, I am thankful he is a good kid overall. Knock on wood! His grades are fine and he stays out of trouble and he respects us. I really can't ask for any more than that. Trust me, there will be many days that I still will expect more, but I'll try to keep this feeling of gratitude in mind!

Tonight I had two meetings with two different groups of people but both with a mission to help those in need. There was a time I wouldn't have participated because I either didn't care enough beyond helping myself or I was too selfish to give my time. One, I am thankful I am not that person any more. Two, I am especially grateful that I have the time and ability for worthy causes -- and I feel blessed doing it. Did you know it feels good to help others? It does!

Amongst all the chaos today, we also received two pieces of interesting mail. One, we got a gift of Vermont maple syrup from our friendly cousins we visited out there. Yum. Two, it's only January and I already won money off the school music association raffle calendar!

Without hesitation, I'd have to say 2013 is already starting out waaaaay better than 2012. For that, I am very thankful.

No comments: