Friday, January 4, 2013

TGIF

A person really can't complain about a 3-day work week. It went fast. It was productive. And, just like that, the weekend's here!

It was not a typical Friday for me.

First there was the Packer Tailgating Potluck at work, where they gallantly allowed a contribution from the 3 Viking fans in the building. They just made sure it wasn't poisoned or anything.

Then there was news that my nephew's wife was going to have the baby today. I was so anxious for them! In the end, there were no worries. Mom and nearly 9-pound baby boy are both healthy. Hurray! What a blessing for us all.

After work, we stopped home to get a few things done and then headed into town for a surprise 50th birthday party. This was the second such party in as many weeks. There seem to be run of 50-year-olds in our circle of friends! Jim will get there before we know it. He has been adamant, though, that he wants nothing resembling a surprise party. No way. No how.

But at his age, I am counting on the fact that by July he'll forget he told me that.

Of course, Carter may agree with him. After I picked him up at the Assumption boys basketball game, I took him back to the party with me for awhile. He just rolled his eyes at the disco-dancing "old people" with black lights and glow-in-the-dark bracelets and necklaces. I'm pretty sure he'd rather I spare Daddy (and him) the embarrassment of such a party!

We'll see. All around, today was a pretty good day worth repeating.

No comments: