Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Tuesday Night Miracles

I'm currently reading the book Tuesday Night Miracles by Kris Radish, one of my favorite Wisconsin authors. The story line follows three seemingly "normal" women who individually get pushed too close to the edge and step over it, ending up in a court-ordered anger management class on Tuesday nights.

As usual it's amusing and discomfiting at the same time -- knowing that many of us, at any given moment, are not far from that edge.

Ironically, tonight -- a Tuesday Night at that -- I was close to it.

Don't worry. Every one is safe. I am the only one injured. And slightly at that.

It was just going to be a "free" night with no plans except being on call to help Carter study for finals. Hubby was going to finish up the bathroom sanding project. And I had nothing.

Then I realized it was baking day. For anyone who's ever been caught up in the viscous chain-letter-type cycle of Amish Friendship Bread, you know what I'm taking about. When it's the 10th day, the baking day, you gotta bake. Fine, I thought. I've got nothing going on so this couldn't have fit my schedule more perfectly.

But then I started mixing ingredients and realized I was missing one -- the box of instant pudding. Since I already had added milk to the liquid mix, I couldn't bake it without the pudding or it would never bake successfully. I really wanted to avoid a trip to Wal-Mart because a trip to Wal-Mart for one item always leads to half a cart full -- and 30 minutes of your life you'll never get back.

So I texted a plea for help to a half-dozen "working housewives" in a 2-mile radius. Heck, I would have taken any flavor of pudding at that point and made it work. But I came up empty-handed. So off to Wal-Mart for that half cart of groceries and those precious 30 minutes.

When I got home, I whipped my remaining ingredients together and made a mess quickly pouring the batter into muffin tins... leading to a curse word or two. Then I put two pans in the oven and proceeded to burn my finger. @#$$%&!

Do you know how many F-bombs Martha Stewart has dropped in her kitchen? I'll tell you. Not as many as Robyn Austin!

Thank goodness the Amish Friendship Bread Muffins turned out perfect and tasty. I can exhale a deep breath and be thankful for my little Tuesday Night Miracle!

No comments: