Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Only Fools Rush In

It's Elvis' birthday today, which also means one of my nephews, who shares the birthday, edges closer to 30.

I have never professed to be a huge Elvis fan or anything, but I thought he was pretty good in Forrest Gump. Other than that, I just know the songs. And, contrary to many true-blue fans, I believe he has the building.

For good.

Since so many radio stations, etc., were paying tribute to the King today, I've had his songs in my head. I realized I could probably go a month with Elvis song titles as my blog title and find something connected to write about. But I have a feeling you don't want to hear about Jim being my "Hunk of Burning Love."

Today, though, the lyrics "Wise Men say... only fools rush in..." speak to me and a few foolish senior moments.

First I head over to the fitness center at noon -- for the second day in a row  -- to work out. When I head to the locker room to shower, I realize I forgot to pack a towel. Now I've learned from previous senior moments that drying yourself off with a sweaty t-shirt really stinks. So I got some extra steps on my pedometer by trotting to the front desk (still fully clothed, of course) and renting a towel. On my honor. I had to go out to the car and scrape up 50 cents when I was done. Managed to find 4 dimes and 2 nickels in my purse. I am pathetic.

My second "moment" came later after work when we swung by the pharmacy to pick up a prescription on our way to the boys basketball game. I tried giving the pharmacist my discount/points/rewards card and said, "Do you need this?" And he looks at it and politely declines, pointing out that I was giving him the card for ShopKo, not his store. Whoops. I said, "I swear I'm not on any drugs except the ones you're giving me!" He did point out when I was leaving, "OK, just exit out those doors to the right and the parking lot is straight ahead." Oh boy. I bet he looked up my drug history after I left!

At least when we got to the basketball game I remembered which team to cheer for... even if our opponent was wearing purple and yellow! I should have removed the remnants of my purple nail polish before the game, though. We lost by 3 points!

Elvis must have taken our winning streak with him when he left the building.

No comments: