Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Culture Club

I've inherited several traits from my father. I suppose if you lumped most of them together they could just be labeled "stubborn." But I like to think of myself as hearty with stamina and staying power, willing to stand my ground until something changes or goes away.

Yep, I guess stubborn could be used.

I know Dad and I are not fans of going to the doctor. LeRoy and I like to "wait and see." Will it go away or, on occasion, get so bad we have to seek help? Immediately.

I've been dealing with some night-time coughing this winter. It's like stuff settles in my chest and I end up coughing through the night, waking up on occasion with a cough drop in my mouth. Every time hubby "encourages" me to go to the doctor, I say I will but... then I go a few night with nothing so I brush it off.

On Monday, though, I had a new symptom. My throat suddenly was hurting so bad, it hurt to swallow air. My first thought was "Uh-oh, I hope I don't have strep." But then I remembered that the few times I have had allergies in my life, this is exactly how it starts. With that sneaky sore throat that leads to everything else.

So I tracked down some allergy medication in the office and took a pill Monday and yesterday. It minimized the pain only slightly, but now I know that could have been the ibuprofen I was talking for my "I bowled too much this weekend" back pain.

Today, I decided I would go to the walk-in clinic after work. I sent Jim on his way to Madison to the funeral home for Kiley's visitation. All he said to me was, "Why are you going now, in Week 14 of this?"

Ha. Funny guy.

Probably because this is something different! When I got to the clinic and the doctor checked me out, he didn't think I had anything major going on. As a precaution, though, he took a throat culture. Oh I do not like that type of culture! Definitely the Culture Club I remember from the '80s. My knee-jerk reaction was not to jerk my knee but push him away with my hands. Whoops.

He wasn't hurt nor offended. Whew.

He said the strep test would only take 5-7 minutes so I waited. I'm not sure who was more surprised by the results -- him or me. He walks in and says, "Well, you have strep."

I know LeRoy would say, "That's what I thought!" Because he... me... we.... know everything!

So I had to go to the pharmacy to get my pretty pink antibiotic horse pills.

Not entirely exaggerating am I? I have to take those twice daily 'til gone plus, I am sure the doctor -- if he would have had more time -- would have ordered ice cream as needed. And I need it!

The good news is I am only slightly contagious for the 24-hour period after getting on the drugs. So while I wouldn't have to work tomorrow, I will go and stay secluded in my cubicle. Then later, when we go to the girls playoff game in Neillsville, I will be past my contagious stage.

Honestly, other than the throat hurting, I feel fine. No fever or headaches or anything.

Just one last pint of Schwan's Peppermint Stick ice cream in the freezer calling my name. 

Oh, LeRoy... come here...

No comments: