Friday, March 1, 2013

Forward, March!

Today's riddle: What do you get when you cross a lamb, an ice cream cone and the color blue?

The month of March coming in mildly, signaling the opening of King Cone this afternoon and an Assumption girls basketball playoff game tonight! 


Throw in the fact that it's a Friday today, too, and you know it was a good day!

I'll admit I was really counting down to this day since Tuesday when I found out King Cone opened in its Plover location today. That is on the way home from work with a slight detour -- unlike the Amherst site (not open yet) where it is just a turn into a parking lot. As it turned out, I had a pretty good plan how to drive right by the Plover one.

Tomorrow I'll be running in the Point Bock race in Stevens Point. Participants have the choice of picking up their race packets tonight from 5-7 or in the morning before the race. Since there is going to be 2,000+ runners, why not avoid the lines in the morning and stop by today?

So after a very fast, yet productive, day at work, we went to Point, picked up race packets for me and 2 friends, then just happened to drive right by King Cone on the way home. Hubby pretty much knew he had to signal left and turn into the parking lot! Oh, it felt good to be home. Ha. Jim got his usual Pirate's Booty in a waffle cone and I got a cup of Blueberry "Yes, Please" Cake (that's its full name). Yummy. Oh so worth the wait.

We stopped home quick to drop off a few things, then dropped off race packets for my neighbor Cindy, who unfortunately has been sick all week and can't race, and our friend Gregg, Jim's classmate who will pick me up in the morning and set my pace tomorrow.

From there, we headed to Assumption High School to cheer on the girls in their second regional playoff game. This game was much more intense than the Tuesday blowout, that's for sure. Lincoln-Alma Center had quite a scrappy team and they held close for the first 3 quarters. Scary. Thankfully, our girls really pulled away in the fourth quarter and ended up winning 62-37! Yay! (I cannot change my blue nail polish at this point.)

Now tomorrow night they host Loyal at home for the regional championship. Should be quite a game. Before that, though, I've got my 5-mile run and hubby and I have a mid-afternoon bowling tournament. To answer your question: No, we don't have much down time around here!

During all this, Carter has a friend over tonight. They've been instructed to "keep it down" so I get some decent sleep. At this point, with my lack of committed training for this race, that's not going to help much. But they don't need to know that. 

If March is coming in like a lamb, it's only appropriate I am counting sheep anyway... 1... 2... 3...

No comments: