Saturday, March 9, 2013

Sectional Sweethearts

I won't even bother building up the suspense about tonight's sectional final in La Crosse... The Assumption girls are going to state!!!!!!

I borrowed this picture from somewhere on the Internet since it is almost 2 a.m. (real time) and I am not about to start downloading photos!

Despite a gloomy, rainy day, the sun was shining on our sectional game! Thankfully.

We didn't head down to La Crosse until 4 p.m. Hubby had to go to work awhile in the morning and then to a fantasy baseball draft in Waupaca. While he was doing that, Carter and I slept in (ha). I was happy I slept through the whole night without coughing. Yay! Spent the morning getting Saturday chores done on Saturday for a change.

Even though it was raining or snowing most of the day, there was a break in the early afternoon so I went for a run. Just a nice easy 2-miler. Even though it was in the high 30s outside and felt quite mild, I didn't want to spend too much time out there and reactivate my strep. But it sure felt good to run OUTside!

The Pep Band bus loaded at 3:15 so I dropped Carter off then picked up a friend's daughter who wanted to see the game but not drive. Jim was home at 3:45 or so and we were on our way shortly.

I think we all were nervous about the game against Seneca. They had a good record like we did so we figured on a close game like the other night. We managed to get a lead early and we never looked back. Sure, they got sort of close a few times but we pulled away and stayed strong. The final: 49-31!

It was so exciting to have a huge, huge crowd of fans there, plus the band, and to see the excitement in everyone's faces when the final buzzer went off. After the awards presentation to both schools, our student fan section stormed the court and it gave us goose bumps. Very, very cool. I think back to high school when my school lost its sectional final by 1 point and, believe me, the feeling of actually GOING TO STATE is a huge deal.

As the day's final scores came in, we learned our first opponent at state will be Wausau Newman -- our conference rivals who gave us our only loss this year! This is going to be quite a wild and exciting week leading up to the Thursday showdown.

Put on some Royal Blue and come along for the ride!

No comments: