Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Can You Hear Me Now?


This evening was week 3 and Chapter 3 of our church book study on If You Want to Walk on Water You've Got to Get Out of the Boat by John Ortberg. Any guesses on the topic?

Yup, we were talking about "Discerning the Call." Water walking requires not only the courage to take a risk, but also the wisdom to discern a call. How do I discern the difference between an authentic call from God to get out of the boat from my own rash impulse?

Interesting discussion!

We talked about the fact that we all have a purpose, a calling of sorts, usually based on our "raw material," our gifts and talents. What do we do that gives us the most joy? Have you ever considered that it may be your calling to do that? Can we do that not only for God but with God?

If it seems too easy, your raw material may only be the foundation of a bigger calling. If you pay attention in the Bible, you know God has pretty major God-sized callings. From Moses to the virgin Mary, they were tasked with some major calls to action.

You've heard it said that God won't give us anything we can't handle. That's partly true. What I think He means is that He won't give us anything we can't handle as long as we are willing to work with Him and accept help from others. Trust me, we'll probably welcome it in most cases!

I like the part of the book and discussion when we addressed calls versus careers. There are people who may have a calling that essentially turns into a career. But then we must ask ourselves if that "call" is to serve God or give ourselves esteem or wealth or both in some fashion?

Can we have it both ways?

The book defines it as a "career is something we do for ourselves and a calling is something we do for God." However, I am glad it also pointed out that it is possible to make business a calling when it is truly done to serve God and others.

Can my writing be MY call? I suspect it can be, it will be and it sort of already is. I just hope my goals of inspiring, educating and entertaining are enough.

I guess I'll keep working at it 'til I figure it out. Or my smartphone delivers that call.

Can you hear me now?





No comments: