Sunday, June 19, 2016

Dad's Day, Kinda, Sorta

Since it's Father's Day, I will be nice and say that moms often do things to embarrass their kids. I'm sure dads never do!

So when I saw this scene today at the ballpark, I had to snap a photo...

First, I thought, who would wear a Justin Bieber t-shirt like that? Then I realized it was a mom with her daughter and thought, what mom could get away with wearing that and not have their teenage child die of embarrassment? Wow.

So I had to share it with Carter and point out that maybe me wanting to get a "UW-Platteville MOM" t-shirt is not the worst thing in the world now, is it? He said I had a good point, but that doesn't necessarily give me permission. Yet.

Back to those wonderful dads who would never dream of doing that. Well, let's hope at least not wear the Beebs t-shirt!

For Father's Day today, since Carter gave Jim his new UW-Whitewater t-shirt last night, we just made sure he had a special day. We let him get up and go to his own church while Carter slept at a friend's and I slept, uhm, in.

There was even a parade in his honor – with fire trucks and police cars and ambulances and more fire trucks and county snow plow trucks... and two bands. Well, that's Jim's version of it. I'm just glad he enjoyed it so much while I spent a few hours at the Kellner Ball Park getting some nice, in-focus photos of some of my favorite girls of summer! After that, I met him in town where he watched the parade so we could go on one of our two dates.

We took him out to lunch at Carter's classmate Nathaniel's graduation party, then took him to dinner at his classmate Rose's graduation party. Two meals. Wow, we are generous. We even stopped at Jim's parents to wish Dad a happy Father's Day and sneak a cookie out of the cookie jar.

When we got home, I let him watch the end of the U.S. Open golf tournament while I yelled questions down the hall from my office while editing photos. "Who's leading now?" "What hole are they on?" "Is Sergio still in it?" "What are they cheering about it?" He was so happy about my inquisitiveness that he suggested that I read it on ESPN.com or come out and watch to get the answers in person.

I love that he loves my thoughtfulness, don't you?

I even started a load of laundry that will probably need to come out of the dryer and be folded sometime after I am in bed and he's still up. I know. I am such a worker bee!

Right now he is watching the NBA Finals game 7 and I am letting him... uninterrupted. I couldn't care less about it. I just hope when the buzzer goes off, he realizes it might be the dryer and not the end of the game.

(For real, though, I am blessed to have such a tender, caring, generous man as our family's leader and rock. Love you, Jim .... if you are reading this. I realize you are probably exhausted from all the special treatment today! Happy Father's Day!)



No comments: