Monday, June 6, 2016

The Day Florence Nightingale Retired


Long before Florence Nightingale founded "modern nursing" some hundred years ago, there were the original nurses: Moms.

It's weird how we jump into that role from day one. No qualifications necessary. A new life is in your hands. They will cry to you when they're in pain, snuggle with you when they're tired, and puke on you when they can't help themselves.

No matter the boo-boo, a kiss and hug from Mommy is the best medicine.

Until it isn't.

Today, Carter got his wisdom teeth out. With our work schedules, hubby took him to Stevens Point for the surgery. It was hard not to be there but it made the most sense since Jim works from home and would be the one keeping an eye on Carter post-op. And I didn't particularly miss having to deal with the bloody gauze and all that stuff when they got home. Not that I wouldn't do that for him, I just was OK not to.

And no, there were no viral videos taken of any weird "awakening" when he came out of anesthesia. I did text him and asked how he was feeling and he responded, "Great, actually." So I think he was feeling no pain.

During my lunch hour, I ran to the pharmacy and took him his pain meds and special mouthwash he'll start using tomorrow. Didn't have time to stay, but I didn't need to. He had his nurse coming over.

Yup, stark reality is this. Ol' Florence Nightingale forced into retirement by a younger, newer model. Ha. Well, that's what girlfriends are for, I guess.

I had been so focused on the milestone of graduation that I forgot there are other events leading to Carter's independence these days, too. I am not prepared to just let him go completely. Apparently, time doesn't wait for mothers to adjust, though, does it?

My brain is telling me I am not hanging up my nursing lantern for good. But my heart isn't listening.

Yet.

Until the time they are on the same page, I will be grateful for now that the surgery was "routine" and he hasn't had any complications. I will continue to pray for pain relief and quick healing.

Because prayers are always needed.

Even from dear ol' Mom.

No comments: