Saturday, June 25, 2016

Lene On Me

Back in the day, before we were these rock star runner chicks (ha), my twin sister and I just took walks ... usually in the woods with Mom.

As luck would have it, she often had her Kodak with and could take pictures of her adorable babies – Bynski (Robynski, Bynski or Byn) and Lenesker (Raylenesker, Lenesker or Lene).

After awhile, the photos became measuring sticks of sorts. See how I got the short end of the stick? We look the same height but if you look closely, you will see I (in the red) am on slightly higher ground.

A year later and there is no question Lene had a growth spurt. Both of ours, actually. I never did catch up. Over time, though, two things have happened. One, we have reenacted the tree photo numerous times in our adulthood. And two, we have learned to lean on each other rather than the tree.

Today, we had the occasion to do that.

She and her daughter Ashley headed south from Siren and I headed west from Rapids. We met just outside of Black River Falls around the lunch hour to visit her son Tony, the nephew I previously visited in Winnebago and has now transferred to Black River Falls for an intensive treatment program. Due to my busy weekend schedules leading up to graduation and the multiple engagements since, this was the first time I've seen Tony in two months.

It was great to see him and my twin and niece, too, and share a visit. He is in a good place right now, mentally, physically and emotionally. His mother is happy because he is 2 hours closer to home – 3 hours away instead of 5. He is a little closer to me, too – just over an hour. Between that and the expanded visiting options on weekends, I should be able to see him more regularly again so he has face-to-face support during this huge turning point in his life.

By strange coincidence, it was last year around this same time that Lene and I also shared an afternoon with him. Actually it was on our birthday, June 28, so this visit came just a few days earlier. Naturally, we needed to strike our "tree pose" for a picture since it is rare we are together on our birthday.

You'll note we forgot that we both should have the same knee bent. Guess we've been reenacting it incorrectly all these years. You'll also note I am no closer to catching up to her height! Guess it makes it just as easy for me to "Lene" on her!

It all evens out.

After a 3-hour visit, we parted ways and they returned Up North. I came home and we jetted off to another graduation party. This one was just down the road. Nice afternoon and evening with our Assumption family of friends, who've let me lean on them occasionally, too.

How'd I get so lucky to have all these great people in my life? Think this year I'll just count blessings rather than birthday candles.



No comments: